Wednesday, October 1, 2008

DON RADFORD

FROM DON RADFORD, YEAR OF 1958
After the LC, I studied science at the University of Sydney where I specialized in chemistry – no doubt as a result of the excellent teachers we had at NSBHS in the science department. Mr Moulton, Mr Rintoul and Mr Butts come to mind especially.
I had intended to seek employment in industry, enthused by the visits the school took to places such as Monsanto and the AGL at Mortlake. However, instead my interest in teaching chemistry at university developed, partly because of the often poor performance of many of the lecturers and my belief that chemistry could be made much more interesting for undergraduates. Consequently I completed a PhD in physical chemistry and also a Dip Ed at the University of New England. For most of my working life I was employed in the School of Chemistry at the University of Sydney, ultimately as a senior lecturer in the first year teaching group. I retired in 2001 but remain active in the School as an honorary staff member where I continue with several projects involving first year teaching.
I have lived at Bilgola Plateau since 1968 and regularly get together with Warren Yates and Ray Woolcott from our year.


The old photo above was taken in 1957 or 1958 on the way to cadet camp

No comments: